Saturday, January 5, 2008

Reflux better????

Well, thanks to a wonderful thing called Rett Net I was in touched with many people who have Rett angels in their lives.
I spoke over two hours with a wonderful woman named Dawn who also has twins, one with Rett's.
She mentioned that she took her daughter off of wheat and milk and that she's stopped spitting up. Well I thought, let me try something, so today Kelly had no wheat......and today Kelly did NOT spit up at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now watch,,,,I just jinked it but slow and steady. Now the thing is to come up with lunches for school that don't have wheat.
Kelly usually eats Gerber Graduate lunches or Campbell's soup or chicken nuggets or jelly sandwiches....all have wheat.
Today I gave her tuna with mayo no bread and pears....Any suggestions for easy portable lunches would be GREATLY appreciated. Can't give her tuna every day....probably some baked chicken...??? I'm not coming up with much else. She's not into cold cuts which is probably a good thing.

Sabrina helped me put away the christmas decorations....she loves to help...Now we are going to play with the Polly Pockets Sue gave her for Christmas...way to go Sue...she's been playing with them all day.

4 comments:

Sue said...

OK, something Frankie would eat for lunch ...
-- cut up cubes of mozzarella cheese,
applesauce cup,
cubes of a ham steak (fine cold), ham salad (finely chopped ham steak with mayo and relish.) Cucumber slices (I know they're gassy, but they don't have wheat, and if wheat is actually the problem, gassy might not be a problem.)
How about homemade rice pudding? I think homemade because I don't know if they thicken the storebought kind with anything.
Also -- you'll need to get to a health food store and check into the products they have with rice pasta, etc.
How about fried rice combos with carrots mixed in?
I'll keep thinking -- did you google "wheat free diets"?
:)

Sue said...

Hey -- how about hard boiled egg slices?

Although Frankie would NEVER eat them, maybe Kelly will!

Anonymous said...

If you want to find recipes and stuff that are wheat free you would fine alot on any website devoted to Celiac disease. In that disease the person is unable to tolerate gluten. Basically they need a wheat free diet. Unfortunately, as you know, there is gluten in alot more than just bread and cereals. Some medicines, sauces, etc. I don't know if that is of any help to you or not. www.celiac.com contains some reference materials and books that you could purchase or read about with wheat free recipes. Loosing the wheat is hard since it is such a staple in most diets. People don't realize how much wheat they eat.
Love ya,
Sandi

Beth said...

Thanks for all the ideas...I've gone on the web site and bought two cook books the other day. I've gone to the specialty stores and bought potato starch, guar gum etc. They don't have in regular stores.
Can't give Kelly eggs at school because two boys in her class have severe egg allergies....Great....now I have to worry about other peoples allergies besides the peanuts and the wheat...the fun never stops.
Yesterday she got tuna and today chicken again.
Ham is a good idea and I've some easy recipes for banana bread and such.
WEEEEEEEE....any one want to join my on the roller coaster..
Love to all
Beth