Saturday, January 19, 2008

Let's get Rett Syndrome on Oprah

I've been trying to get the attention of the producers of the Oprah Winfrey show to do a segment on Rett Syndrome. If everyone reading this emails them with the request and asks a friend to do the same, maybe we can get some national attention. Just trying to jump on the coat tails of the American Idol contestant who was featured last week during try outs. Angela Martin from Chicago has made it through to Hollywood. Her daughter has Rett Syndrome as does mine. For more details about the syndrome please check out www.rettsyndrome.org or www.rsrf.org.

The website for the show request is www2.oprah.com/email

4 comments:

Sue said...

Hi Beth! This was the email I sent to Oprah's people...

(Wording may not be 100% aproved by Rett Net, but they'll get the idea, I think):

Rett Syndrome is something you rarely hear about it, but it is relatively common -- a girl is born every five hours with Rett's -- and yet it is often misdiagnosed. The medical community is quietly working on Rett Syndrome cures and treatments, and a serious break-through was recently accomplished, which Wired Magazine put in their top ten list for scientific achievements of the year!

My friend has a sweet baby daughter who was just diagnosed with Retts. It would be great if you could do a story on Rett Syndrome for a show one day.

Thank you for considering this request!

... You never know, it might work. It soulds like a good story idea to me!

I didn't mention the American Idol chick because I wasn't sure the two networks would be willing to cross-promote like that...

Brooklyn said...

I sent my request into Oprah too! You never know!!!!

Beth said...

thanks for all the support.
love to all.

Teresa said...

Hi this is Teresa, I am new with this blog and an excited to connect with others. I have twin girls with Rett Syndrome. We lived in South Africa when they where born. We live in Minnesota now. We have learned a great deal in our 18 years with our daughters and they are now very healthy and happy. I would love to be a source on information for others. Please feel free to contact us with questions.