Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Armbraces and Birthday Cakes

I'm about to order armbraces for Kelly, restraints to keep her hands out of her mouth. I've been thinking about it for weeks but waiting to talk with her OT before commiting. Kelly is always biting her right forearm and already had one staph infection on her finger from keeping it in her mouth. It almost feels like I'm giving in but I know that many of the girls with Rett Syndrome experience a calming effect from the braces.

The other thing on my mind is birthday cakes. I wanted to get a cake for the girls 4th birthday but it would be over $50.00 to have a half a sheet cake made with decorations of princesses and blues clues...so...I'm making it myself. I figure I make one sheet cake the bottom. Make a second sheet cake and cut down one third of it...so I can have a base, a second level and small third level...then try to decorate it like a castle. need to check party stores and dollar stores for items that are castle like..Sabrina has a few knights in shining armor and princess the right size but she plays with them all the time. I don't want something on the cake Kelly may have bitten. I thought I'd make the bottom layer, blue like a moat top two layers to look like a castler with a draw bridge??? and turrets. of course they'll be princesses for Sabrina and a blues clues dog for Kelly. Of course I'll have to do all this after the girls go to bed the night before the party. ...as well as make cupcakes for the kids party that afternoon....lot of baking ahead.

2 comments:

Brooklyn said...

Ok, you HAVE to take pictures of the finished product! I could never imagine making a cake like that. Very impressive!

Brooklyn has arm braces, she does not wear them all the time but we got them at armbraces.com The lady that makes them is a grandma to a Rett girl. She is great to work with.

I hope the girls birthday is amazing!

Sue said...

Save a cupcake or two to turn into a tower... definitely post a picture of the cake when you are done!!!